What is Handwashing?
What is handwashing?
Handwashing is the first step in infection prevention to curb the spread of infectious diseases, especially those contracted from direct contact with an infected person or a contaminated surface. Handwashing is essential because it is not always obvious when people or surfaces may be carrying an infectious disease.
For hospital environmental services (EVS) technicians and other healthcare staff and visitors, handwashing is vital to reduce the spread of healthcare-associated infections (HAIs).
- Infection Prevention and Control
- Cleaning Industry Management Standards
- Infectious Disease
- Healthcare-Associated Infections (HAIs)
- Hospital Environmental Services (EVS)
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC )